- The Civil Aviation Organisation statistics show that were 30,303,519 carrier departures worldwide in 2012. There were also millions of unregistered military aircraft departures.
- Jet fuel combustion is the main source of nanoparticle pollution in the Earth's atmosphere.
- Aerosols from jet plane engines create a dimming effect (white haze) in the atmosphere, which scatters and absorbs sunlight and reduces the amount of direct sunlight reaching the Earth by roughly 20%.
- The majority of NOx leaves jet engines as NO, but a significant part of this oxidizes to NO2 when it reacts with ozone in the surrounding air.
- The best cloud condensation nuclei (CCN) are created by ultrafine particles joining together (caused by electrical surface forces) and measure approx. 100 nanometres.
- Sulphate injections are one of several "geoengineering" solutions to climate change being discussed by scientists. The data published in "Science" magazine suggests that this strategy would lead to a drastic thinning of the ozone layer.
- A baggage handler inhales roughly 240 billion nanoparticles each day they work at Copenhagen Airport.
- Aerosols from jet planes are also known as nanoparticle pollution.
Top registered airlines within the last month
Short lived trails
Persistent non-spreading trails
Persistent spreading trails
1 Alaska Airlines
1 British Airways
1 Delta Air Lines
1 Norwegian Air International